Hi, dear reader! c:
Autumn is my favorite season, beautiful leaves, sweaters, fall treats and tea. There is though one downside, it is also that time of the year when it is super easy to catch a cold. I caught a cold – sore throat, running nose and a headache. I want to share some home remedies I am using to get well (besides the pills and vitamins you can see in the photo above.)
Home remedies I use to treat a cold:
- Natural chamomile tea with organic honey – chamomiles I got from my mother-in-law, she dried them at home. This tea helps to cure sore throat.
- Gargling with salt and baking soda – remedy also for your throat, add in a one cup of warm water 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 baking soda. Salt helps to decrease the swelling in your throat and baking soda has antibacterial properties.
- Garlic. I don’t like to eat it just by itself, the taste is too strong for me. There is one really yummy way I like to eat garlic – garlic toast. I fry 100% rye bread slice or wholegrain bread slice with olive oil on pan, just to make it crispy ( you can also just toast it, if you want to make it healthier). Then I spread grated garlic on both sides of bread and also sprinkle salt on both sides.
- Lots of liquids. Very important is to stay hydrated, I drink many herbal teas, much more tastier than just to drink warm water.
- Warm clothing. It is very important that your body stays warm, especially your feet, wear warm knitted socks.
- Relax and pamper yourself. Make sure your surroundings are tidy, light a scented candle, listen podcasts, watch movie, read, draw, just sleep. Don’t focus on negative things, be thankful for what you have. When you are ill, it is very important to stay positive, creative and motivated, it helps to get well faster.
Hope my home remedies are helpful to you. If you are sick right now, I hope you get well soon.
Disclaimer: If your cold lasts for more than a week then visit your doctor. As you can see in the photo above I am also taking some medicine, because of the fever,strong headache and sore throat. My home remedies can not be used as the only medicine to get well.
Autumn is a tricky season, it comes right before summer and sometimes our body can not adjust so fast to a cold weather, so stay warm and drink hot teas. See you on my next blog post!